Club Info > About Us > Our History  
 
 

 

 Hayfields Logo

 

1790's

The first of several stone buildings is erected at Hayfields.  This building still stands today and serves as the Sales Cottage.

1798-1805

The limestone mansion, over a period of eight years, was built by Colonel Nicholas Merryman Bosley.  Colonel Bosley's ancestors came from Herefordshire, England to Maryland before 1650.

1824

Hayfields won first place in the Maryland Agricultural Society's contest for "premium farm".  At the annual cattle show ceremonies, Bosley was awarded a silver tankard from the hand of the great French General, The marquis de Lafayette.  Bosley's emphasis was on raising Timothy Hay - hence its name, Hayfields.

1843

John Merryman inherited the farm from his uncle and is credited with bringing the first Hereford cattle to Maryland.

1861

John Merryman was 1st Lieutenant in the Baltimore County Horse Guards during the Civil War and under orders burned the Northern Central Railroad (NCR) bridges between Cockeysville and Parkton to prevent Union troops from being brought to Baltimore.  His imprisonment led to Chief Justice Taney's masterful "ex-parte Merryman".

1870's

John Merryman was elected treasurer of Maryland in 1870 and "assisted materially in the pushing forward of the Baltimore and potomac Railroad".  He also was elected to the Maryland House of Delegates in 1874.

1881

John Merryman died and his children took over management of the farm.

1939

Hayfields was purchased by General John Franklin, a cousin to the Merryman's.  Franklin and his wife refurnished the L-shaped 1 1/2 story Federal-style house while the farm operation continued under Nicholas B. Merryman.

1986

Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas B. Mangione and family purchased the property.

1995

Restoration of Hayfields property begins.

1998

Hayfields Country Club is established.

                                                                                   

 

 

 

 Hayfields at The Library of Congress